1. What does the word “Hanukkah” mean? ____________________
2. What was being dedicated(or re-dedicated) in the story of Hanukkah? ______________
3. When did the events of Hanukkah take place? ______________
4. Where does the story of Hanukkah take place?_________________
More difficult: In what specific town did the revolt begin ? _____________________
Xtra credit: Of what tribe were the Maccabee family?__________________________
Xtra xtra credit: What were the Jews being asked to do when the revolt began?
5. Whose culture and beliefs were being forcibly imposed upon the Jews?_______________
More difficult: What is the name of this belief system and culture?________________
6. Difficult: How is this belief system still being imposed upon us today in our time?
7. What great warrior leader of that culture lead to the eventual events of Hanukkah?
Hint: he lived about 175yrs before the Maaccabess Hint 2: He was Greek and Great.
8. What two powers were engaging in battle and when one of them lost, he took out
his frustrations on the Jewish people?________________________________________
9. What did Antiochus Epiphanes claim to be? ________
10. What miracle(s) occurred during the time of Hanukkah and the Maccabees?
11. For family discussion: How are we engaged today in a type of Maccabeean revolt of our